Friday, January 2, 2009

We've arrived!

Hi, everyone,

We've arrived in Zurich! In case you don't know, it's cold here! No glitches in our travels and no problem meeting Brett and Sara at the Zurich train station on Wednesday afternoon. Our apartment is great--three bedrooms/one bath--plenty roomy for Henry and me, and enough room for guests. The two extra bedrooms have twin beds, but there is also a couch in the living room.

Brett and Sara enjoyed their ten days of sisterly bonding as they traveled in Italy and France before training to Zurich. Not only were they still talking to each other, they gave each other big hugs when we saw Sara off on her train to Paris today. Sara starts her winter quarter in Paris on Monday. She's done very well with her German, and seems to pass easily between French and German. I'm hoping to achieve the same result after taking an intensive German class for 2-4 weeks. We stopped by the language school today--it wasn't open, but at least we know it really exists. I'll be there bright and early on Monday morning. With Brett leaving for the airport at around 7am on Monday, I should be able to make it to the school in plenty of time!

We had quite an adventure on Wednesday night. Figuring that we would have the car for only 24 hours (to drive from Munich to Zurich) and with no snow in sight, we opted against paying extra for a winterized car rental. Unfortunately, it started snowing as we arrived at our dinner destination. By the time we returned to the car to drive back to the apartment, about 3 inches of snow had fallen. The was enough to start the front wheels spinning and the entire car sliding as we tried several times to make it up the hills to the apartment. Eventually, we took a more circuitous route home, driving up streets with more gradual inclines. Brett and I got out numerous times to push the car up and away from the sidewalks and other parked cars. Sara did her part, keeping Henry company as he steered the car. If there was any tread on the tires to begin with, there was virtually none by the time we arrived at the apartment! Luckily, the streets were clear enough the next morning for Henry to drive to and return the car at the airport. Now, we're all set with our monthly bus/tram/boat passes.

We're getting settled and getting used to the area. Once I start learning some German and Henry starts his work, I'll be venturing out and about the Zurich area and beyond.

7 comments:

  1. Great story and details. I can just see the 4 of you. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the comment was from me, Alice, but I have not one clue why they put "Alan" or how they even knew his name or really what I am doing in the blogoshpere. I used "Google Account" as my profile. Sara, maybe you can help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's start a "car winterizing" fund.... donations are welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all of you- now all I have to do is figure out how to sign in on the blog to keep up with your travels .... Happy New Year! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved hearing from you! Keep up your entries, so we can all follow along and vicariously join in the fun!
    Happy New Year to all the Abarbanels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just see you slipping and sliding! Achtung!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth...I'm not a stalker. Shelley sent me the link and told me to check in. So here I am...40 years go by, and now I get to hear about your progress learning german. All the best, Chip Sleeper

    ReplyDelete